It's been so long since I last wrote. Now, I'm sitting on my couch typing on my 3 week old laptop. It beats the hell out of sitting at a desk not being able to move around. I love this thing.
On top of all that, I am typing in the condo I bought 4 and a half months ago. Yep, after looking pretty hard at the housing market and hoping to buy myself an actual house, I wound up buying a place that's in the same neighborhood as Hugh and family. It was a pretty good deal and I had come to the realization that any house I was going to buy would have to be an older house that'd probably need some work. I am satisfied that I ended up here. It's only 4 years old and I've only really had one problem, and that was more my own fault. Get this--I did my first load of laundry here by putting a load in and leaving for a few hours. Came back to find my hallway totally flooded. Came to realize that the hose that sits in the wall as the output from the washer was out of it's little socket and had gone all over the wall and the floor. I ended up spending hours with the Segars' shop vac sucking up the water. It seems to be no problem now, but then I was pretty irritated. Other than that, it's been pretty carefree living. At first it took some time getting used to living alone. But now I try to appreciate it, especially since I can afford it easily, and working nights, it makes it so much easier to sleep in. I like it.
Work has been going well. I have been on my own for a long long time now. The one big controversy I've been involved with was not even my own idea. After two months on my own, a nurse I work with and generally got along with came up and said hey, you're floating in a half hour, so let me know if you need anything. This was on one of my worst-ever nights and I was way behind. So, I say, Palma (our boss) told me that it would be 3 months before I floated. It became a big deal and then the charge nurse called Palma to see what she would say. She said, you know what, let's make it six months before new nurses float. So the same nurse who'd told me I had to float was the one that ended up having to float. She was bitter as bitter can be and told this story to anyone who'd listen, then saying she'd been a nurse for ten years and had never heard of it taking 6 months to float. Never came to me with her issues about it, but made it clear with her manner towards me and her side comments and what she'd say to others that she had a big problem with it.
Anyway it's over now and I have floated. The only other issue is that I haven't yet signed anything saying I will be going to the new hospital when Mayo moves there. I want to go, but it could be an interesting crossroads. If I don't, I will be in the ICU at St. Vincent's new hospital. As it is, I'm comfortable where I am and I do learn new things, but sometimes feel like I'd like to move to another floor, ER, ICU, something else where it's different and I can learn other new things. It's nice sometimes to see patients improve and do well, but there are other sad stories who keep coming back or have lots of new problems. But I can't really leave because my best chance of moving to the new hospital is to stay where I am. So we'll see what all goes down.
My dating life has been pretty dull. This is another reason I have thought about leaving my floor. Most of the women there are married. It's also why I was looking forward to floating. I went out with Tammie again a month ago. Other than that, there's two women that still could be interesting. First and foremost is Judy. I do like her and we enjoy lots of things together. Just tonight she came over for dinner. But we have never crossed beyond the "friend zone". I am still open to this possibility; sometimes I even think a lot about it. But as of now, it is what it is and pretty much has always been.
The other is just a crazy idea. It's the original Kelly Segars, the one I dated so far back, in 1994-95. We haven't had a civil conversation in a very long time, and in fact Davy and Kelly's wedding she freaked out on me. Everyone's been telling me how normal she is now, though. I am skeptical--I never considered us a couple with a prayer of staying together--but then the sex with her was as good as I've ever had it. I have to ask myself--was that just me at a certain stage of my life or was it something between us? I may never know. Either way, I would like to sit down with her and talk normally. She has a kid now, the last guy she was with was the guy she broke up with me for (admittedly after I broke up with her 3 times before that). So,time will tell here.
On top of all that, I am typing in the condo I bought 4 and a half months ago. Yep, after looking pretty hard at the housing market and hoping to buy myself an actual house, I wound up buying a place that's in the same neighborhood as Hugh and family. It was a pretty good deal and I had come to the realization that any house I was going to buy would have to be an older house that'd probably need some work. I am satisfied that I ended up here. It's only 4 years old and I've only really had one problem, and that was more my own fault. Get this--I did my first load of laundry here by putting a load in and leaving for a few hours. Came back to find my hallway totally flooded. Came to realize that the hose that sits in the wall as the output from the washer was out of it's little socket and had gone all over the wall and the floor. I ended up spending hours with the Segars' shop vac sucking up the water. It seems to be no problem now, but then I was pretty irritated. Other than that, it's been pretty carefree living. At first it took some time getting used to living alone. But now I try to appreciate it, especially since I can afford it easily, and working nights, it makes it so much easier to sleep in. I like it.
Work has been going well. I have been on my own for a long long time now. The one big controversy I've been involved with was not even my own idea. After two months on my own, a nurse I work with and generally got along with came up and said hey, you're floating in a half hour, so let me know if you need anything. This was on one of my worst-ever nights and I was way behind. So, I say, Palma (our boss) told me that it would be 3 months before I floated. It became a big deal and then the charge nurse called Palma to see what she would say. She said, you know what, let's make it six months before new nurses float. So the same nurse who'd told me I had to float was the one that ended up having to float. She was bitter as bitter can be and told this story to anyone who'd listen, then saying she'd been a nurse for ten years and had never heard of it taking 6 months to float. Never came to me with her issues about it, but made it clear with her manner towards me and her side comments and what she'd say to others that she had a big problem with it.
Anyway it's over now and I have floated. The only other issue is that I haven't yet signed anything saying I will be going to the new hospital when Mayo moves there. I want to go, but it could be an interesting crossroads. If I don't, I will be in the ICU at St. Vincent's new hospital. As it is, I'm comfortable where I am and I do learn new things, but sometimes feel like I'd like to move to another floor, ER, ICU, something else where it's different and I can learn other new things. It's nice sometimes to see patients improve and do well, but there are other sad stories who keep coming back or have lots of new problems. But I can't really leave because my best chance of moving to the new hospital is to stay where I am. So we'll see what all goes down.
My dating life has been pretty dull. This is another reason I have thought about leaving my floor. Most of the women there are married. It's also why I was looking forward to floating. I went out with Tammie again a month ago. Other than that, there's two women that still could be interesting. First and foremost is Judy. I do like her and we enjoy lots of things together. Just tonight she came over for dinner. But we have never crossed beyond the "friend zone". I am still open to this possibility; sometimes I even think a lot about it. But as of now, it is what it is and pretty much has always been.
The other is just a crazy idea. It's the original Kelly Segars, the one I dated so far back, in 1994-95. We haven't had a civil conversation in a very long time, and in fact Davy and Kelly's wedding she freaked out on me. Everyone's been telling me how normal she is now, though. I am skeptical--I never considered us a couple with a prayer of staying together--but then the sex with her was as good as I've ever had it. I have to ask myself--was that just me at a certain stage of my life or was it something between us? I may never know. Either way, I would like to sit down with her and talk normally. She has a kid now, the last guy she was with was the guy she broke up with me for (admittedly after I broke up with her 3 times before that). So,time will tell here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home